Here's My Heart, What's Your Hurry


Each of my journals begin with a prayer, setting the tone for the journal.

My current journal begins with my secondary mission for Seize the J from Isaiah 61:1-3.
God has sent me on a mission. I have some great news for you. God has sent me to restore and release something. I am here to give you back your heart and set you free. I am furious at the enemy who did this to you, and I will fight against him. Let me comfort you. For, dear one, I will bestow beauty upon you where you have known only devastation. Joy, in the places of your deep sorrow. And I will robe your heart in thankful praise in exchange for your resignation and despair. (translation from Captivating)
Date your entries. Write naturally in your own voice. Don't write as if someone is looking over your shoulder. If your writing doesn't sound like you … then who are you writing for?

God is looking for your heart. He's not looking for a term paper or a dissertation. Again I say, he wants your heart.

My buddy Kent, from choir, and I were talking about his journaling experiences. What I hear from guys is you're not sure you're doing it right, meaning the writing flow and style doesn't feel or sound right. I suggested that Kent try writing in bullet lists rather than writing complete sentences. I also suggested he go back to those entries he wrote several months ago and reread them. I bet he discovers something about himself. I'm interested in hearing from you guys about your journaling experiences. E-mail me at seizethej@gmail.com.

Make sure your entries are readable to you. Drop the notions of appearance, proper grammar and spelling rules, complete sentences. Doodle. Write in the margins. (Remember the funky little drawings in the margins of Mad magazine.) As an editor and writer it would be very tempting to rewrite and edit myself. Not going there. It's even fun to see misspeelings. For example instead of: is it good enough, I've written is it god enough. Read between the lines on that one.

Discover your natural writing time. Morning, noon, night? Try writing at different times of day and discover when your thoughts flow naturally. Mine is a.m. and p.m.

Write on a regular basis. It doesn't matter for how long you write, how much you write, or how often you write. Surrender the notion of obsessively writing every day. Why are you obsessing? Stop it.

Read your entries out loud, slowly, to yourself. Hearing your voice gives you clarity, hearing God's voice gives you clarity! Slow down. It's a walk, not a race.

Use good judgment about maintaining privacy. My friend Laura keeps a notebook journal and a computer journal. Here is how she uses the computer journal:

I use a personal (free) e-mail account I've established specifically for this purpose, I just don't send the e-mails to anyone. It's a very secure source, as opposed to having a written document laying around for someone to potentially find. It is reassuring when I've got something on my mind I really wouldn't want anyone else to read inadvertently. Of course, my husband teases that I have the personal e-mail account he can't access just so I have means of communicating with my secret boyfriend!And just so you know, I've been there, done that betrayal thang. Don't recommend it at all. (I'll save this story for another day.)

Save your journals. Reread, reread, reread. Growth is one of the most exciting things for me to read in my journals. God has been at work all along, all for his glory. The way to capture it is to see it, hear it, and feel it by rereading it. Don't soak in the lament of your past after rereading but celebrate with God for how much he has done. Use a highlighter and mark the entries that catch your ear. Reflect on how God is at work and then journal your praises to him.

And again I say, he wants your heart.

Seize the J

I hurt because I gave.
I gave because I love.
I love because I'm willing.
I'm willing because you
love me.
O Lord, you have examined my heart
and you know everything about me.
Psalm 139:1

No comments: