Un Shackled

I just read The Shack. Parts of it reminded me of going through Christ Life class and how the paradigms and thought patterns we make for ourselves can be self limiting, as well as our own illusions and perceptions. This quote from The Shack got me thinking:
Or we could talk about all the limiting influences in your life that actively work against your freedom.
I watched 2 movies on Saturday night. Sleepless in Seattle was on TV (who wouldn't love to meet Mr. Yes in NYC on top of the Empire State Building!)

During the advertisements (being the ultimate multitasker) I switched to DVD and watched Goodbye Lenin, a German film. Who in the world is watching a German movie on a Saturday night (except maybe those in Germany) and who is watching 2 movies at a time! Geesh*

So I was thinking about the New Year and how I don't really make resolutions but maybe I would this year because some things in life aren't happening for me, others that are happening need to change, and I need to follow thru on some others. The reason some of those things aren't happening for me is I've become comfortable and maybe self-satisfied (read that self limited) with the way things are and that I've thought them into truth and reality. My reality and truth. Not truth and reality for anyone else. And I don't think they're God's truth or reality for me.

I've realized parts of my life is a check off list. In my planner I keep lists of books to read and videos to watch, stuff to do, appointments, work schedules, classes, dates to pay bills, pay days, show dates, birthdays, etc.

What happened to the care free days of discovering a book on the shelf rather than reading it because it's "on the list"? What happened to looking at the spines of books and reading titles such as Some Love Some Pain Some Time, pulling the book from the shelf, judging it by its cover, and reading the jacket to see if it was recommended by anyone I like.

Keeping a list of books prevents me from being present in the moment of choosing at that moment.

And another thang, I'm going to hang out in coffee shops more often. I was waiting for my friend Lynn at Cafe Diem in Ankeny (and finished reading The Shack while waiting) and I thought, I need to do this more often. Be present to the sounds and people around me at the moment.

I like to try new things. If you have a favorite coffee shop, let me know. Maybe I'll see you there.

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life.
Proverbs 13:12

Pray. And while you're at it...

Seize the J

*It was a multicultural weekend. The next day I watched the French film The Grocer's Son. Je l'ai bien aimé. I loved it!

1 comment:

Smasty said...

Great idea to spend more time in the company of people, even if you are not "with" them. I need to to that, too. I have "The Grocer's Son" on my netflix list, can't wait to see it. Lovely blog post, again.
Sue