98%

My friend JoC and I had one of those deep-hearted conversations the other night. I mentioned that 98% of my friends are Christian. But 

98% of my life is lived in non-Christian environments.

Like a lot of you I spend most of my days working, shopping, playing, listening, being in the "real" world. And I can definitely say that I may be only showing 50% of my 98% self. I reason that sometimes it's just best not to rock the boat, not to walk on water, and just go with the flow.

Authentic has been a big theme for me this year. What about me is authentic, the 98%? Or am I more authentic, relate-able, when I'm at 50%? And what about me is not authentic, not real, un-relate-able?

That's backwards isn't it? Do you need to relate to me? Or is it the other way around, I need to relate to you?

We're to have deep-hearted conversations, the kind that make men reveal their hang-ups, women to reveal their hurts, and all of us to cry out and lay it down already.

I know my authenticity–my identity–isn't social networks, consumerism, technology, religion. It's not Facebook; my job; nano5, Mac, shoes, designer clothes; where I go to church, or what neighborhood I live in.

I know my ID.
Our true identity is flat and plain, not puffed up with the wrong kind of ingredient...So let's live out our part..., not as raised bread swollen with the yeast of evil, but as flat bread—simple, genuine, unpretentious. (1 Corinthians 5:6-8,The Message)
What's your number?

Seize the J



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this. Made me think. I'm in a big political fight with a family member right now (you know my affiliation...his is the way opposite end of the spectrum). I'm so close to ending this relationship forever with some seemingly easy words "you are such an idiot!!". Now I see that perspective as "puffed up with yeast." Thank you for this J.
SM

Kris said...

"William Wilberforce set out to describe for people an authentic expression of the Christian faith. In doing so, he changed the course of a nation - and the world."

Janet, your post today made me think of this book I am reading "Real Christianity." It examines what it means to have authentic faith in a time of cultural Christianity. It was written over 200 years - but still really applies today! Am I a true Christian living out my faith or a cultural Christian?! Great post! Thank you for sharing!!!

Anonymous said...

You're 100% in my book, J. Thanks for the authentic and stretching convo. You are one of the few elite who can entertain my deep thoughts without changing the subject to, "So, how is the weather? Your job? The kids?" :) Ahh... I'll take my bread flat, thanks. Big Hugs --JoC.