iPhone or iThrone?

When you have a problem, where do you go? Do you go to the phone or do you go to the throne?

People are compelled to pick up the phone when they "need" to talk to someone. And it's going on 24/7 in our culture.

How many of us say we are compelled to call on God when we need to talk? Or is he the go-to-guy as a last resort?

"Tis the only comfort of the miserable to have partners in their woes." (Don Quixote de la Mancha). Hmmm. We seem to miserate in company. Hey I'm all for community and Lord knows I need it because I can isolate very easily and yet...

...I have yet to find a person that can solve my problems. Last summer I was having a "day of crisis" and was desperate to find an answer (or more like some relief) right then, right there. I was going to poll some friends and get their analysis of the situation. I called 5 people. I got 5 voicemails saying my call was very important to them and to have a nice day.* Have a nice day! Are you kidding, I was having a crisis! If only I could reach out, reach out and touch someone, my problem would be over and I could move on. Right?

God had other plans that meant talking to him first before I threw it out there for public opinion. And he's a lot easier to reach out and touch.

When I call on Jesus, I know he's paying attention to me. I know when I talk he listens. He's not putting me on hold, he's not checking his voicemails, he's not listening with one ear and texting an answered prayer to someone else on the other hand.

He is fully engaged with me. He is fully engaged with you.

God is always on the alert, constantly on the lookout for people who are totally committed to him. You were foolish to go for human help when you could have had God's help. (2 Chronicles 16:9, The Message)

Seize the J

* Any resemblance to real life may be purely paranoia.

J quote
I'm so very ordinary.
Nothing special on my own.
I have never walked on water.
I have never calmed a storm.
Sometimes I'm hiding away from the madness around me
like a child who's afraid of the dark.

But when I call on Jesus
all things are possible.
I can mount on wings like eagles and soar.
When I call on Jesus
mountains are gonna fall.
'Cause he'll move heaven and earth to come rescue me when I call.

(
When I Call on Jesus recorded by Nichole C. Mullen)

No comments: