March Madness

Do you have a bucket list?

I don't set goals. It's not that I don't have goals. It's just that I go out and do stuff and don't set it in stone with a time and a place.

I don't call them goals, dreams, a to-do list, or a bucket list. I keep them somewhere in the back 40 of my cerebellum.

Here are things I've accomplished that at one time were in my back 40, things I'd always wanted to do:

College cheerleader.
Graduated from college.
Lived in a big city (Denver).
Editor.
Traveled to New York City (5 times).
Ran a 10K.
Ran 10 miles.
Ran a half marathon.
Own a black Honda.
Own a cottage-type house.

So here is the detailed, specific list of what I wanted that list to really be:

Be a cheerleader for the University of Iowa.
Graduate from the University of Iowa.
Live in New York City.
Be an editor for a glossy magazine.
Be a book submissions/manuscript editor.
Run? I have bad knees! Why would I run?
Car? I didn't even own a car, couldn't afford a car in my Greeley days.
Own a Pottery Barn cottage in Beaverdale.

The last list, maybe like yours, is detailed. But when I compare it to what I've really done, what was actually served up is the same set of accomplishments, just a different back 40.

It's okay to be specific and detailed in your goals, but I finally realized that if I lived my life thinking I'd only had accomplishments if I lived by the specific list, then, in short, I failed. And I haven't!

And I believe it's okay to be open to what God makes happen in his creative way because there may be some great, exciting adventures along the way. His way is better than my way.

Just for fun I made a bucket list. Here are some other things in the back rooms of my mind:

Eat a crab cake at the farmer's market.
Visit Tiffany's in New York City.
Travel to Disney World.
Hear my Dad say I love you.
Get dressed up and have dinner at an atmospheric restaurant with (insert ____ here !)
Be in love...that leads to marriage.
Go to Hawaii.
Help others write their stories.
Own a fun/sporty car (black, of course).
Go to a U2 concert.

What have you done that at one time was just an idea, just something hanging out in your mind? Allow it to be simple. Allow it to be an accomplishment. What have you said to yourself, "Someday I'd like to ... "

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I —
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference. -- Robert Frost


"For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11


Seize the J

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing!

You can’t hit a home run unless you step up to the plate. You can’t catch a fish unless you put your line in the water. You can’t reach your goals if you don’t try.
Kathy Seligman

Unknown said...

Inspiriring!

Val said...

I'm embarrassed by what my goals were in my 20s -- finding and keeping a man, having a fulfilling career, and living in a big house. But looking back, I can see that God worked with all those ideas, even if my motivation was not of Him.

I guess I'm embarrassed a little by my current goals, as my motivation is still a little suspect despite the "wisdom" of age -- have a happy marriage, raise kids that are successful -- whatever that means for them --, and travel, including but not limited to, an overseas mission trip.
The difference is now I already know God's gonna use me, sometimes despite the goals I'm pursuing. I just pray I hear when he calls -- that I'm not too busy looking out for myself and my bucket list. Maybe I should ask Him what's on His bucket list for me? ...Scary...Maybe I'll save that for my 50s!

Anonymous said...

My bucket list has always been pre-empted by "you can't do anything until you lose weight"...it's been the hammer over my head for almost my whole life. Not allowing any other dreams in. Well...I've accomplished that. Now, I can create a list. It's never too late, right?
Sue