What's Your Tantrum?

Russell Reno flickr image
In my writing I notice I link to melancholy, which I don't understand considering my "normal" childhood. While I had a happy and creative, and hard working childhood, I can remember feeling misunderstood probably because of a lack of communication skills, that sometimes resulted in temper tantrums. Temper tantrums are just that, not being able to communicate because of a lack of communication skills. Seems like a cycle. Communication is still hard for me because I feel repressed, where is my voice, and who wants to hear me?
 
That's why writing in my journal is a release. It's much easier to take pen to paper, or write an e-mail, and tell someone my feelings than to use my vocal chords.

I'm much more a listener than a talker. I become blocked by all the external messages I receive. I pay attention to body language and I'm likely to clam up if someone is yawning, if they look bored, or if there is a continued gaze at something happening in the distance, that to me says "I'm interested in what's going on over there not here."


I've heard that children that have temper tantrums are highly sensitive to their environments. They pick up on things in their surroundings that others don't. Tags on clothing drive me crazy, always have. I cut out the most annoying that feel like paper or sandpaper.
I couldn't wait to get out of those scratchy dresses with the netting that my mom dressed me in. Whoever came up with tag free clothing must've known the agony of a paper tag scratching the back of the neck or the small of the back.  

What about you, what are you sensitive about?

Did you throw temper tantrums as a kid? And you turned out okay like me, right?

Seize the J
...return to a life of peace and quiet...(Jeremiah 46:27)

No comments: