You Lead Me Here

Scott Polk flickr image
You go before me
in all that I do.
You have already been
down
the path.
You're sending me.

Each season,
you prepare it.
When trees turn
you are here.
From green to
gold to
brown to
fall...
off.

You consider
everything.

You go before all.
To all:
who live on the earth,
to all:
who cry to you.

My bones
grow weak
I am so
weary.

And yet, and yet...
I am in hope
for
my heart is confident in you O God.

In lifted hands,
you are worthy of praise.
In lifted voice
high
over raging waters...
you are worthy of praise.

Another season: 
flashes of lightning,
on and off, fill the night sky.

You know your seasons.
You created them in the beginning.
You know your reasons and
your corrections.

You go before me.
My heart rejoices
that you know better than I.
 
When dew is on vine,
in morning bright
seek:
your word for the day.

On solid ground. Stand.
You go before me.

Sun shines,
ice is melted.
You go before me,
My life, guard.

Myself,
in your sanctuary.
Abundantly,
in your bountiful hand.



I created this psalm in a workshop led by Ray McGinnis, author of Journaling the Sacred. McGinnis created this exercise using phrases from the psalms that are highlighted in red.

I'll be leading this technique and 2 others in a journaling breakout session at the Express Your Faith Writer's Conference at Lutheran Church of Hope, August 20.

Try it. Write the phrases in red in your journal. Then connect the phrases with your thoughts, ideas and feelings. You're on your way to being a psalm maker!

Or...invite me to your group and I'll customize the phrases for you.

Seize the J
For we are God’s masterpiece. (Ephesians 2:10 NLT)

1 comment:

Tabby H said...

Hi Janet, I participated in your journaling session at the Hope writer's conference and really enjoyed it. Loved the psalm journaling activity! It was a great way to give praise to God and practice another technique! thank you for the valuable information!