Auld Lang Syne


Should old acquaintance be forgot, and never brought to mind?

Probably.


I recently had a phone call from someone from my past that wanted to meet. It was weird. Probably the last time I spoke to this person was some 20 years ago in the middle of Kansas. I have not so fond memories of this person. Full of himself, every statement he made was how wonderful he was, he wasn't a particularly kind or considerate person. Why would I possibly need to meet this person?


After all, I'd completed 1-1/2 years of intense Christ Life class which included digging up my past and then saying goodbye to it all. I really had several reasons to believe that I didn't need or want to visit with this person.


I thought of every way I could to get out of it including using church as an excuse. I didn't get his phone number so there was no way to (un)graciously cancel. And not showing up entered my mind. I'd work out an "excuse" later, which means a lie. I was working so hard on trying to rationalize this with God. Nothing doing. I knew it wouldn't work. You know it doesn't work.

The day of the meeting I read in my Bible that God will use me for His purposes. I really didn't want to be used for His purposes with this person. Why me? Why not use someone else who is a much better example of You. I've already given you numerous ways I'm not good enough to be your message God.


Here is what I journaled: "So hey God, you're going to use me for your purpose. I should be very happy to do this for you. And most of the time when you send me out there, I'm in awe of what you're doing. But this time, I just don't care. I don't care what he has done for the past 25 years. Big whoop is all I've got to say. 'Talk 'til you're overflowing with how great you've been the last 25 years.' Big deal. I said goodbye and now you're asking me to go forth and be your message. I want to pass. Help me to be grateful."

During the drive there, I repeated, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." I pulled into the parking lot of the trendy West Des Moines restaurant. I waited and I waited and I waited. No show.

Just wondering God. What was that?

"For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Need to get the lead out in 2008? Christ Life is a great class to do it. Lutheran Church of Hope's Christ Life class begins Jan. 21. To find out more about Christ Life, including affirmations and devotions, or to contact them about classes in your area, go to Christ Life Solution.

Seize the J

J quote
Just for a moment I was back at school
And felt that old familiar pain
And as I turned to make my way back home
The snow turned in to rain...
Same Auld Lang Syne, Dan Fogelberg

No comments: