Get the Funk Out

I've been trying to get the funk out lately. Some of you have said you've been in a funk too.

It started around Labor Day weekend. Someone said something to me that is soooo against everything I am. Right away I bristled. "I'm not cut out that way. I'm not created that way. And if that's the way it's gonna be. Then I'm not gonna like it. I'm checking out." I couldn't shake it. And as funks go, one thing led to another which led to another which led to another. I tried to keep my mind on what is good and true, tried to grab onto something to stop from falling but the momentum and spiral down was too hard to overcome on my own. On my own never works.

The writer in Psalm 118:6 says, "What can mere people do to me?" I said, what can a mere "insert name here" do to me?

I was talking to a friend of mine about this funk. Being journal savvy, she suggested I journal about what makes Janet shine. Here's what makes me shine.



What about you? What makes you shine?

Use the vine and branches technique in your journal. Start with your name in the middle. What do you like to do? Who do you like to be around? Where do you hang out? What makes you who you are?

Yes, I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. John 15:5

Trust him, and he will help you. He will make your innocence radiate like the dawn, and the justice of your cause will shine like the noonday sun. Be still in the presence of the Lord, and wait patiently for him to act. Psalm 37:5-7

Seize the J

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another great post, Janet! I have used clustering in my work - trying to come up with a creative title for an ad - and it works. But I have never thought about doing this for myself - or the brand I call "me". Mmmm. Sometimes we just need to be reminded of what is good and happy in our life - because we have so much to be thankful for and to be giving praise for. Thank you God! Thank you for placing Janet in my life!

-Kris

Anonymous said...

Janet,
Just found your blog and I'm so impressed with what you're doing here! Great ideas...I'm going to add it to my favorites and visit you often! I'm doing an online journal class right now on "A Woman's Journey Home to Herself", and the clustering exercise will be a good one to try in conjunction with that.
Love & Light,
Carol
Bellevue NE (and Journal Conference)