Christmas Past

What is your favorite memory of Christmas?

There is a Hallmark commercial about a young woman spending her first Christmas away from home and every time I see it I get a little teary eyed. The first Christmas I spent away from home was in 1985. I was living in Greeley, CO, and couldn't afford to travel. I went to Kent's two family's homes. I was in a place I'd never been before, around a family I didn't belong with, taking part in traditions I didn't know. Nothing was familiar. And yet they welcomed me warmly and had taken the time for it to be special. I felt more loved than I expected.

I spent many Christmas' by myself and learned to make my own traditions. I made a special meal -- Mexican Chicken Casserole and pumpkin pie. Later I'd take a walk at Crown Hill Park, put together a puzzle, and go to a movie in the afternoon. I remember going to see A River Runs Through It, one of my favorite movies.

When I think of Christmas' past, I don't think about what presents I received, what I didn't receive, or what I gave people. I remember the people, the laughter, the unity, the celebration.

When they had listened to the king, they went their way, and behold, the star which had been seen in the east in its rising went before them until it came and stood over the place where the young Child was.

When they saw the star, they were thrilled with ecstatic joy.

And on going into the house, they saw the Child with Mary His mother, and they fell down and worshiped Him. Then opening their treasure bags, they presented to Him gifts--gold and frankincense and myrrh. Matthew 2:9-11 (AMP)
Heaven's love reaching down to save the world. Hallelujah!

Seize the J

No comments: