Making a List, Checking It Twice


Tis the season for making lists, whether it's a Christmas wish list or a New Year's resolution list.

What was on your Santa wish list when you were 5? Look at old photos of yourself taken at Christmas. Do you remember the sounds, the smells, the wrapping paper, the goofy clothes, the anticipation? Wow to be 5 with the belief and trust of a child.

If you make a list now with that same belief and trust of a child, for we can ask our Father for anything, what is on the list? Is it something simple like a doll or a firetruck? Do I ask with all the details attached to it? Do I ask with the simplicity of a 5-year old or the complexity of a 40-something? And if I get it and it doesn't have all that I requested, will I be disappointed, will I want to return it, thinking my request is unanswered? Or do I receive exactly what I need?

Is it time to make a change in the New Year?

Last summer when I began working on this dream, I was challenged to write a list of 100 Things I Like To Do. I began thinking about the things I was doing and asked myself, “Do I like to do this? Is it list worthy?”

Here is part of the list:
go to concerts
laugh with my sister
look at nature
color in coloring books
meet a friend for coffee
have a small group discussion
look at View Master reels
write short story paragraphs
sit and be still and quiet
learn new software
be at the airport
watch a parade
take the longest route, even if it's slower
clean, if I'm in the mood
get hugs
go to the zoo
overhear conversation
swing at the park
watch traffic

When I looked over the list of all 100 things, I noted there were 2 things in the top 10 that I liked to do when I was younger that I was no longer doing -- singing and biking. Hmmm. Why not? So in the last 6 months I began singing in the choir and bought a bike and hit the bike trails. What a difference adding these 2 fun things back in my life has made. I feel 15 again (almost).

What is whispering in your ear to be rediscovered? Why did you give it up?

What's on your lists?

Seize the J

J quote
I believe in a faith that's strong.
I believe in a hope that carries on.
I believe in these things and more.
Most of all, I believe in love.
Third Day

No comments: