Endless Summer

It is sunny and 85 degrees, not a cloud in the sky. I just got back from my walk. The sun will set in about an hour. My favorite season is summer. I begin looking forward to it about December 22 as minute by minute the days get longer.

What I like about summer
I like that when I wake up at 5:45 the sun is already up and greets me. I like wearing shorts, t-shirts, and sandals. I like it that when I go outside I don't have to wear a coat. I like it that when I travel I can count on taking only summer clothes. I like Georgia Mud Fudge Blizzards at DQ. I like a well-done barbecued hamburger with the classic bun, mustard, ketchup, onion, and dill pickle. I like 2-hour long bike rides.
What I remember about summer
I remember shucking bucket after bucket of sweet corn and being grossed out at the brownish, grainy worms inside the husk. I remember Dad coming to the house after he was done milking and he had picked a watermelon from the garden and we would all go outside and eat it, pa-tew-ing the little black seeds.

I remember hearing the train whistle in town and Linda and I would jump on our bikes, pedal as fast as we could up the hill, coast down the hill, and pedal even faster up the next loooong hill to see if we could beat the train to the railroad crossing.

I remember mowing the yard on the riding lawn mower, listening to Casey Kasem count down the Top 40, coming in for dinner, drinking iced tea, and watching American Bandstand.

I remember walking down the lane to get the cows, making sure to climb the gate in the field adjacent to their pasture because the bull was in with them. I remember calling the cows and then counting them as they passed by me. I remember walking behind them up the lane, the fine gray dirt poofing up beneath my sandals and getting my toes dirty.

I remember watching a cow fenced in near the barn take its last dying breath.

I remember turning small, round hay bales and snakes slithering from beneath the cool and dampness.

I remember Jerry and me swimming in the pond and Dad would be nearby watching to make sure we were safe.

I remember a lot of kittens and playing for hours in the barn with them.

I remember riding my bike into town to go to the library.

I remember reading the back-to-school issue of Seventeen magazine.

I remember the end of summer feeling the same as it does now. The air feels different; the sun is at a different angle in the sky.

Ahhh summer. I wish it wouldn't it end.

What do you like about your favorite season? What do you remember about growing up in your favorite season?

Arise...Let your light shine for all to see. For the glory of the Lord rises to shine on you. Isaiah 60:1

Seize the J

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post! I felt like I was experiencing all those things right along side.