What I Learned From Unbusy

For Lent I decided to become unbusy. Just like we can get ourselves busy, we can get ourselves unbusy. I decided to live a noncalendared life. And oh Babe how good it is!

How did I do it? All it took was a talk with God about the things in my life that weren't working. As if he needed to be told. He'd been telling me that for quite a while. And then he naturally eliminated some of the responsibilities (i.e., burdens) I was carrying. Why? Because it is good!

A show I was scheduled to work was canceled. I stepped down from a commitment that was overwhelming me. Several freelance projects I'd said yes to weeks earlier didn't happen. Phone calls weren't made. E-mails weren't created.

While most friends encouraged my journey into a noncalendared life and said, "You go girl. I wish I could do the same," some thought I'd lost my mojo. Seriously?

Anxiety, panic, heart palpitations, surviving on a few hours of sleep, confusion, memory wipe outs. What on that list sounds like a good thing to hold on to?

There were some suggestions to be unbusy: read a book (sounds like another thing to keep busy), look at yet another website (sounds like another thing to keep busy), talk to so and so who did the same thing (sounds like another thing to keep busy).

I discovered the joy of saying "no."

I began spending the last 45 minutes of my evening seated on the floor beside my bed, talking to God, just talking, sometimes crying, sometimes saying nothing.

Here are some other fun things I did during unbusy:
Baked cookies.
Met with friends for great talks, laughs.
Listened to music—live and otherwise.
Read one book at a time, without three others on deck.
Ran and biked on beautiful Sundays.
Ran an 8K.
Served.

The less I do, the less I feel compelled to do anything more.

Life is sweet. Bake cookies. Ride a bike. Run like your life depends on it.

And Seize the J

We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps.
Commit your actions to the Lord, and your plans will succeed. (Proverbs 16: 9, 3)

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Love, love love this post. Thanks for sharing.